Hans Heysen’s studio – the oldest artist’s studio in Australia – is located just a 5 minute stroll from The Cedars shop.
With its Pinus Radiata guardians, the studio has a splendid northerly aspect and 180° views to the stands of eucalypts and the rolling valley and hills.
Hans’ studio may be visited at any time during opening hours ($10 fee), or as part of a guided tour.
The studio, with its enormous window in the south-facing wall, was designed by architects Conrad & Conrad, in collaboration with Heysen.
It was erected by Hahndorf builder, William Pain, from mainly local materials and was finished by the end of February, 1913 at the cost of £400.
The heritage building remains intact and extremely well preserved. Furniture, art equipment and other artifacts are in place, and visitors stand on the rugs that Hans Heysen stood on to paint his well-loved works.
Changing displays of works on paper from The Cedars collection, key early oil paintings, etchings, and two unfinished works by the artist add to the real sense that Hans Heysen has just stepped out to draw or paint his beloved gums “en plein air”.